Happy 5th Birthday to Tumblr’s iOS App!
On Feb. 25, 2009, Tumblr turned the Tumblerette app into its official mobile app: Tumblr for iPhone, Version 1.0.
Wow. Five years. The Tumblr app will always have a special place in my heart and I’m proud to have been its steward during the early years. The sale of Tumblrette to Tumblr effectively started mobelux and that early contract to maintain it allowed us to start building the brilliant team we have today.
Here’s to the next five!
Announcing Elixr 2.0 for iPhone and Elixr for Android
A great drink is more than a sensory experience and goes beyond chemistry. It relaxes or enlivens. It helps strike up new friendships or deepen old ones. It gives the joy of finding something new or the pleasure of connoisseurship. The right drink in the right place puts you in a moment like nothing else can.
Over the course of this year, we’ve created a community with Elixr to find those drinks, to locate those places, and to share those moments. Today, we have exciting news about the future of our community:
- Elixr 2.0 for iPhone, completely redesigned for iOS 7 and with numerous new features, is now available.
- Elixr for Android is also now available and we’re thrilled to welcome Android users.
- We’re also proud to have Tumblr Founder and CEO David Karp as an Elixr investor.
The main features of our apps:
- Check-in. Take a photo of your drink and edit it in creative ways. Tell us what you had and where. Rate the drink. Post it to your favorite social networks or keep it private.
- Interact. Find out what your friends are having. Make new connections based on drinks you love or where you are. Like and comment on drinks. Add interesting drinks to your favorite and to-do lists.
- Discover. Find the best drink venues nearby or around the world. See who’s making great cocktails and who has a tempting beer or wine list.
- Search. The quest for the best drinks and venues can be challenging. Search across all of Elixr to find exactly what you’re looking for.
New features include:
- An all-new design for iOS 7. We didn’t just update a few icons, we started over, thinking through every view and interaction to make sure Elixr was a first-class citizen on iPhone.
- Search. Find anything on Elixr, including drinks, venues, members and even your own past check-ins.
- Photoless check-ins. No time to line up a shot? Simply tap ‘Skip’ to quickly check-in without a photo.
- Refocused Nearby View. See a list of places nearby known for good or great drinks. Perfect for choosing a venue based on your (and your friends’) tastes.
- To-do list. Keep a running list of the drinks you’ve come across and have been meaning to try.
- Custom photo filtering. Not happy with the preset filters? Tweak your shot to your liking. Don’t worry, we’ll store your settings between sessions.
- Bartenders. Now you can claim who made your drink and give them credit. You can see a list of known bartenders at a venue, as well.
- Private check-ins. These check-ins go into your history but are visible only to you.
- Member notifications. Want to know every time a particular member posts? Get push notifications with the flip of a switch.
To celebrate the artistry of great bartenders, we’re also launching the Elixr Discovery Series. It’s a glimpse into the minds of people making great drinks, starting in our hometown of Richmond, Virginia. You can see their stories and learn more about the new apps at elixrapp.com.
As always, we welcome your questions and thoughts about Elixr at email@example.com. And, we invite you to continue on a journey with us to Discover Great Drinks.
Super proud to announce Elixr 2.0 for iPhone (and Elixr for Android, too)! This was quite the design exercise. Not only did we completely rewrite the entire app to focus on discovery but we also redesigned it from the ground up to mesh with iOS 7 paradigms.
Carousel 1.5 Out Now!
Ready to surf Instagram videos with ease, right from your desktop? It couldn’t be simpler. We’ve also completely overhauled our translations in German, Japanese, Spanish and Russian, and added Chinese while we were at it.
What are you waiting for? Head on over to the App Store!
We made video support in Carousel as unobtrusive and simple to operate as possible. Enjoy!
If you really want to communicate something, even if it’s just an emotion or an attitude, let alone an idea, the least effective and least enjoyable way is directly. It only goes in about half an inch. But if you can get people to the point where they have to think a moment what it is you’re getting at, and then discover it … the thrill of discovery goes right through the heart.
Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit.
This year’s RVA Hackathon is a 12 hour event on June 22nd, 2013 for attendees to develop an idea they’ve been meaning to tackle. There are no restrictions on platform or language and there is no theme. At the end of the event we’ll have everyone present what they made and award the best stuff.
Sound like a decent way to spend a Saturday? Sign up now! We can only admit a limited number of people and slots will fill up fast.
This is gonna be fun, you guys. Hope to see everyone there!